Content updated 2024-06-11


Deferring the start of studies

A person who has been admitted to a study programme during the two regular selections and cannot start the studies at the prescribed time may be granted deferment of the start of studies if there are special reasons to do so. Reasons for deferment may be social, medical or other special circumstances that were not known at the time of application. The Admissions Office must have received an application for deferment no later than one week before the official start of the study programme. The issue of deferment is administered and decided by the Admissions Office.

Normally a deferral is granted for one year at the most, or until the next class of students start the programme. Deferral is not granted in connection with single-subject courses or for students admitted from reserve placement.

Changes in the education during the deferral period

The university reserves the right to, during the deferral period, make changes to the content or organization and/or cancel or close down the education / training programme concerned in this decision. The applicant is not entitled to hold the university responsible for such action.

How do I apply?

To apply for a deferment, you fill in the form and upload a certificate to support the reason you state in the form.

What happens when I submit my application?

Your application will be processed by the university and you will then receive a notification. Your admission must be confirmed and for fee-paying students, this means that the first invoice must have been paid before we can review your deferment application.

What do I do if I am granted a deferral with the start of my studies?

If you are granted deferral, you must print out the decision you receive. You must also apply on time to the program again for the for which you have been granted a deferral. The program must be your first option and you must upload the decision to your application.

What do I do if I am not granted a deferral with the start of my studies?

If you are not granted a deferment, you have not proven that you are entitled to a deferment, or the reason you have stated in the deferment application is not a reason for being granted a deferment. You must then apply for the program in competition again. If you consider the decision to be incorrect, this can be appealed.

How do I appeal against a decision?

It is possible to send an appeal against a decision to the Board for Appeals at Jönköping (HJÖN). The appeal must be in writing, and must have been submitted to the Board for Appeals at Jönköping University (HJÖN), Box 1026, 551 11 Jönköping, no later than fourteen (14) days after the date of the decision. The appeal must state which part(s) of the decision that is/are appealed against, the desired correction and the reason for this.