In need of health care advice or medical treatment


Picture: Unsplash

In Sweden, when you need medical advice, you call 1177 or contact them via an email (contact info below). If you need to book an appointment, with a nurse, or counsellor or similar, you can contact a Health Care Centre (vårdcentral). JU collaborates with Wetterhälsan health care centre for international students. See more information below on the different alternatives.

Health care advice online via 1177

The website 1177 Vårdguiden,, offers advice on health, medical care and dental care. 1177 Vårdguiden contains contact details for health centres, child healthcare, women’s healthcare, young people’s clinics, dental clinics and specialist clinics at hospitals. You can contact the healthcare services using the eServices at 1177 Vårdguiden or by phone.

Healthcare advice by phone via 1177

If you need to talk to a nurse, call 1177 or +46 771 11 77 00 for healthcare advice, at any time of day or night. Experienced nurses will provide medical advice and refer you on to another department if necessary.

Contacting a health care centre

At a health care centre to schedule an appointment, renew a prescription, or if you have any questions about an ongoing treatment. The health centre can deal with any problems that do not require specialist care at a hospital, or emergency care.

Between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. appointments are available at the out-of-hours clinic. Contact 1177 for advice.

Wetterhälsan for international students

At the health care centre Wetterhälsan international students can also get help to make an application for a sickness benefit, for the students who are covered by the insurances that the university signed with Kammarkollegiet (The Swedish State’s Insurance for Foreign Students in Sweden and The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students). Health care costs are then regulated between Wetterhälsan, the university and the insurance company.

Contact information for Wetterhälsan:

Phone: 036-242 66 77

Website with more information specific for JU students  External link, opens in new window.


Severe illness or serious injuries

Call the emergency number 112 if someone is severely ill or seriously injured and needs immediate help.

If you need to be on sick leave

There is a special insurance for students who recieve student funding from The Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN). Read more here

Insurances for international students

Before you arrive in Sweden it is important to ensure you have adequate insurance coverage. Read more here