Personal identity number

If you plan on staying in Sweden for more than 12 months, you may be eligible for a personal identity number.

You are generally required to register in the Swedish Population Register, if you plan on staying in Sweden for more than 12 months. When you arrive to Sweden you apply for registration without delay to the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) by visiting a tax agency office. Bring your residence permit and contract of employment or other supporting documentation regarding your employment.

The personal identity number is an identification number allocated by the Swedish Tax Agency when a person registers in the Swedish Population Register. It is required when for instance public authorities and banks are to verify a person's identity.

Content updated 2018-04-24

We use cookies on By continuing to use this site you accept the use of cookies. More information cookie