Frequently asked questions about studying abroad

What is a student exchange?

Exchange studies means that you, as a student at Jönköping University, have the opportunity to study one or two semesters, without paying tuition fee, at one of Jönköping University´s partner universities. The partnerships are based on agreements and balance between incoming and outgoing students.

Läs merLäs mindre

Who can apply?

See eligibility on the student web.

What language skills do I need?

Good language skills in English or in the language used if not English. Most of our partners do not require a language test, however some partner universities require that you show proof of good English skills by completing an approved language test. Examples of the language test is the TOEFL or IELTS. In Intapps you can find information about each partner university and what is required.
If you go on exchange within the Erasmus+ programme you need to conduct a mandatory online language test before leaving. This test is a guidance and will not affect your possibilities to be admitted at the partner university.

Läs merLäs mindre

When can I go?

See Eligibility on the student web. The opportunity to study abroad varies between programmes.

Where can I go?

Jönköping University has exchange agreements with many partner universities all around the world which provides great opportunities. Depending on which programme you study, different options are available. 

Läs merLäs mindre

What is Intapps?

Intapps is a database which is used for information about partner universities, application for exchange studies and also the system used for course approval and accreditation.

Läs merLäs mindre

What does it cost to go on exchange?

If you go through one of Jönköping University's exchange agreements, you do not pay any tuition fee at the partner university but other fees might be required to be paid by the student. Other costs such as travel, insurance, study material, literature and living costs must also be paid by the student. More information for international fee paying students at Jönköping University.

Läs merLäs mindre

How does it work with study loan and grant from CSN?

Swedish citizens have the opportunity to apply for loan and allowance from CSN. The allowance component is the same as for studies in Sweden, but the amount of loan may vary depending on which country you are studying. You can also apply for an additional loan, to cover travel costs and insurance. For more information see (New regulations from 1 June 2015.)

To get a visa you often need to prove that you have enough money to support yourself during the studies abroad, either by a certificate from CSN or your bank. 

Läs merLäs mindre

Scholarships? Erasmus and Nordplus? Others?

There are great opportunities for students to apply for scholarships. Some are organised by International Relations and others by other providers. For studies within Europe you may apply for a scholarship within Erasmus+. For studies in the Nordic countries, there are scholarships within the network Nordplus. See information on Scholarships.

Läs merLäs mindre

How to apply for study abroad?

See information How to apply.

When do I apply?

See information Important dates.

How does the selection process work?

See Eligibility.

Does the nomination from Jönköping University automatically mean that I’m admitted to the partner university?

No, the nomination from Jönköping University that is made after the selection round in Intapps is not a formal admission. You  also need to apply to the partner university to have a formal admission.

Läs merLäs mindre

What do I need to consider before choosing partner university?

Always check the course offerings at the contemplated partner university's website before applying in INTAPPS. It is important that there are courses within your fields and that these are covered within the agreement. Some agreements are limited, see INTAPPS for information. Search for information.  

Läs merLäs mindre

What partner university should I choose?

The choice of partner universities needs to be considered carefully. Think on what the goal is with your stay abroad and what outcome you want. Consider how study abroad fits your education, future careers and personal interests. Which part of the world is more important for your programme and career?

Läs merLäs mindre

How do I know what courses I can study at the partner university?

See Courses and Accreditation.

Can I study language courses during my exchange?

Most partner universities offer courses in the native language. Be aware that you may not be able to use the credits towards your degree but you can read the language courses as extra courses during your exchange. Preparatory language courses are sometimes offered at some partner universities.

Läs merLäs mindre

How many courses do I need to study?

Exchange studies at the partner university requires full-time study. It is important to look at the total number of credits that is needed for the equivalence of 30 hp/ECTS. These credits are specified in Intapps for each partner university. Note that scoring systems are different in different countries and universities. It is your responsibility to keep track on how many credits are counted as full-time study.

Read more about Courses and accreditation. It is recommended to find more courses than those corresponding to 30 ECTS credits in case any course would be cancelled or full.

Läs merLäs mindre

How do I arrange housing?

At most partner universities the application for accommodation is a part of the application to the partner university. In general students stay in on-campus accommodation. Look at the partner university website for information on what is offered and the process. Feel free to contact students who have previously studied or studying at your partner university at present for recommendations.

Läs merLäs mindre

How do I apply for visa?

First, look for information on the website of the partner university. Often they have information on how to proceed. Also look at the website of the appropriate embassy or consulate on information about the application and required documents.

Läs merLäs mindre

What happens when I get home if I have failed an exam or another part of a course abroad?

Re-examinations are very rare at many of our partner universities. If you fail a course you may have to take an extra course at Jönköping University to be able to obtain your degree.

Läs merLäs mindre

Where should transcript of records be sent?

The transcript of records must first be sent to Jönköping University to be processed. If the transcripts are sent directly to you, then you should send a certified copy to your coordinator at International Relations as soon as possible.

See Courses and Accreditation.

Läs merLäs mindre

How is the transfer of credits done?

See Courses and Accreditation.

Where can I get information and support regarding my studies abroad?

Read the information on the student web and in INTAPPS carefully. If you do not get your questions answered there, please contact International Relations by Case Management System or visit us in the Student House 2nd Floor. Monday to Friday from 12:00 to 15:00.
There are also several information meetings organised during the year. Look out for the dates at Important dates and the student web .

Läs merLäs mindre