Courses and accreditation

Courses and accreditation

During your exchange semester you should study courses, which replace the courses you would have studied at JU. When your semester abroad is finished, you accredit the overseas courses into your programme at Jönköping University.

Finding course information

"Course package"

For most International Campuses there is already a "course package" available. However, sometimes late changes can occur to the planned courses. Your programme manager/accreditor will give you more information about a possible "course package" during the planned information sessions.

No "course package"

If there is no "course package" available, please find the latest updated information about the partner university's courses on their website.

Here is some advice to help with your search:

  • Find the page for International Relations/International Office or the equivalent; they will often gather links for exchange students; also look for Exchange students or Erasmus students.
  • Find information about the university's programmes. There you can sometimes find information about the courses. This is often found under the academic departments.
  • Search for a specific faculty of the partner university; these are often found under “schools/campuses/faculties” or similar.
  • Courses can be named: “courses", "units", "modules”. At some partner universities, programmes may be called “courses”.
  • If you are on an bachelor programme, you should search among courses at “undergraduate/bachelor” level. If you are a master student, look under the “graduate/postgraduate” level.
  • Use the University's search function. Do a course code search and see if you can find a course description.
  • Some universities have special handbooks where all courses can be found.
  • You will often find semester dates if you search the “academic calendar” or “term dates”.
  • Many universities have pages for International Students. You may find information there, but most of the information relates to international, tuition-fee paying, i.e. students who don't apply as exchange students.

Preparatory language courses

Many of the partner universities have courses in English. Some may have a limited offer of courses in English and others may only offer courses in the national language. There may be an opportunity to take a preparatory language course on different levels at some partner universities. If you have previously studied a language, you can then refresh your skills before the semester begins. Please be aware that some universities may charge you for taking an additional language course.


You manage your course selections as exchange student in the Intapps database and you may see there what courses other students have previously studied at the respective universities, see links to the right.

Important information to international students

There are special rules for international students regarding tuition fees/course fees at the Jönköping University in connection with exchange studies.

Regarding courses for School of Engineering

Preapproval and choice of courses abroad

  • In order to know which courses you are replacing and taking for at the partner university, you look in the curriculum/outline for your programme at School of Engineering. You can find this on the student web. Be sure to find your programme with your starting year. Before you apply for exchange studies you have to know that the universities you select offer courses within your study area and can be counted towards your degree. At some universities there are restrictions in regards to which courses you may apply for, due to limited agreements and not all faculties are then open for exchange students, see information in Intapps.
  • When you have been nominated to a partner university you should upload your choice of courses in Intapps well in advance before your exchange studies.
    You are responsible for finding course information/syllabuses/
    descriptions at the partner university. If you have difficulties in finding course information, contact the partner university for more detailed information. If they are not able to assist you or you have questions about Intapps, contact the coordinator at International Relations Office at School of Engineering (JTH) for help.
  • Each department has an accreditor for the approval and accreditation of courses taken by exchange students. He/she will make a decision and approve or reject the courses that you have registered in Intapps before your exchange studies. You will know before departure that the courses will be counted towards your degree at the School of Engineering. If you don't get this approval before your exchange studies, you run the risk that the courses will be rejected and not included in your degree.
  • If there are changes among your course choices at the partner university, you must follow the process described above.

Courses taken abroad can replace mandatory or elective courses you would take at the School of Engineering, or be counted as extra courses in your degree; it all depends on your programme and the courses that you will study while abroad.

We recommend that you select twice as many courses as suitable to take, then you will have a little flexible for any course changes. Be prepared for course options that may change at the start of the semester at the partner university, for reasons such as scheduling conflicts, cancellations, and the like.

If you have a semester remaining at the School of Engineering after your exchange semester, it's important that you discuss both the exchange semester studies and the remaining courses at JTH with your accreditor before the exchange studies. This ensures you will have a complete study plan for your degree.

The School of Engineering cannot guarantee that students will manage to find replacements for all courses during the exchange studies. If you cannot find a course to replace all the courses you would have taken at home, you must retake these later to get your degree at School of Engineering. The same applies if you fail a course at the partner university; you may have to take a replacement course at home. Re-exams can be very unusual abroad.

Accreditors at School of Engineering

Civil engineering:

Ann-Marie Dahl, Kjell Nero, Johanna Glans

Computer engineering: Anders Rudgård (BSc programmes), Rob Day (MSc programmes)

Industrial Production and Management: Jenny Bäckstrand and Hamid Jafari (BSc programmes), Carin Rösiö (MSc programme)

Product development: Kent Salomonsson (BSc programmes), Lars Eriksson (MSc Industrial Design), Roland Stolt (MSc Product development and materials engineering)