VISA, Residence Permit and Insurance

Passport & Visa

All students should have a valid passport for the period of their study in Sweden. If you need a visa depends on where you come from.  If you are intending to stay in Sweden for less than three months, you will need a visa if the country that issues your passport is on this listexternal link, opens in new window [PDF file]. You should also confirm possible visa requirements with the Swedish consulate or embassy responsible for your home country.


Jenny Dahlkild, Managing Director Rebecka Ottosson, Operations Manager

Use our  questionnaire.

Or call us at +46 (0)36 10 10 10

Resident Permit

EU/EEA countries

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country you have the right to reside in Sweden. The term “right to reside" means that an EU/EEA citizen is permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. As of May 1, 2014, EU/EEA citizens who want to stay in Sweden for more than three months in order to work or study, no longer need to register their right of residence with the Swedish Migration Agency.

Nordic countries

Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.

Other countries outside the EU

If you come from a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you require a residence permit before arriving in Sweden. Permits are issued by the Swedish Migration Agency and the Agency has collected what you need to know before applying for a residence permit.

The Swedish State’s Insurance for Tuition-Fee-Paying Students

All tuition fee paying students at JU, including those in the Pathway Programme are covered by "The Swedish State's Insurance for Tutition Fee-Paying Students" (FAS 2015-01-01, Kammarkollegiet Policy number: 556487-2744-0005)

This supplementary insurance is free of cost, applies only to tuition-fee-paying students, is valid for as long the student is studying at Jönköping University and includes:

  • Full coverage of medical costs in the event of medical emergency. No limitation in amount.
  • Coverage up to SEK 3 000 for emergency dental treatment per year.
  • Full coverage of costs for medical evacuation or repatriation of remains. No limitation in amount.
  • Liability coverage up to 3 million SEK.

The insurance applies 24-hours a day in the entire Schengen zone, as well as departure from home country for direct journey to the Schengen zone up to arrival in home country following direct journey there from the Schengen zone. For more information, refer to the full terms and conditions of this insurance FAS 2015-01-01.

Content updated 2019-03-14

We use cookies on By continuing to use this site you accept the use of cookies. More information